Question

Bluefish155

C on my Credit Card Utilization
I have a C on my Credit Card Utilization, I pay off my credit cards a few days after I place charge on them, thus I almost always have a 0 balance. Put over a 1,000 a month on it for grocery ... to get reward points, but Credit Karma does not capture these transactions. Why a C? credit score 760. Thanks in Advance!!

Most Helpful Response

too much of a good thing

Don't blame Credit Karma for not capturing your purchases, a zero balance is being reported because the credit card companies report their information as of the statement closing date.

As you're surely aware, high utilization of your credit line is bad, and conversely, low utilization is good.  But your credit score is based on what's on your credit report,  and from your credit report, it appears that you make very limited use your credit cards.

Regardless of whether or not you actually use your credit cards, you're grouped with all the people who also always have zero balances, and while this is a group that has more credit than it needs, the tendency of those people to repay is really unknown, thus they tend to get lower scores.

The solution is easy, don't pay all your credit cards off before the statement is issued.  You should probably target for 1% of your total credit card limit.  You don't need to spread this across multiple cards.  For instance, if you have $50,000 in combined credit card limit, you might want to leave a $500 balance on one of your cards, while still pre-paying all your other credit cards in full.  This will minimize the combined required minimum payment while still avoidding being grouped with the credit card non-users.