Question

homebuyer411

Buying a home..Should I apply for a new credit card?
I'm looking at houses now but one of my cards promotional APR is about to run out. I got an offer in the mail for a card with 0% APR for 20 months. I have good credit and know I will get the card but will the inquiry hurt my credit?

Most Helpful Response

Don't do it!

Close on the house first and get that done then get the new card. No one here knows your situation or how this new application will affect your home ownership dreams. My advice is based on limiting variables.

No

Your score will go down don't do it...

What they ^^^ said.

Exception: I did this exact thing (got a credit card), but only because I just came off a Ch. 13 bankruptcy and two bureaus had nothing to report, so I needed to put something in to push some sort of report from TU and Equifax... it did raise my score by a *lot*, but again, my case was different due to 5 years of inactivity (Ch. 13 means you cannot acquire new credit without trustee approval during the plan period, which can be between 3-5 years).