Question

BookooCredit711

Buying a car and credit utilization
I had a score of 691, I opened a new card and one of the features was getting 200 dollars cashback for spending 1000 in 3 months. Needless to say I used it to do all my Christmas shopping and take advantage however my credit score dropped to 650 on here and dropped 70 points on my FICO just from utilization. I am buying a new or preowned car soon with around 8,000 down and a trade in and have another 1000 I could put down or use towards paying down my cards but the card simulator said I only would get from 650 to 666. Could I potentially get my credit back where it was or better given I'd be paying off within a month of the balance or am I really losing more credit score then gaining paying it off and should keep the extra 1000 for a down payment. (Will be financing most likely 7000 +/- for 2-4 year term) My total credit limit is 2,850 and I currently have around 2000 used.

Most Helpful Response

Well your fico score will determines the interest rate you will be getting. Since utilization has an immediate impact your score, can you hold off on buying a car until you improve the score by paying down your credit card? if you get your utilization down, it will have an almost immediate boost. 2000 of a 2850 is 70%. Lower that first and wait for your credit card company to report that low balance to raise your score. In the long run you'll save money with a lower interest rate.