Question

khp3655

Business Account showing up in personal history, Credit was in business name only. How to fix?
I opened a credit account as a corporate office under a business name, using a business ID number. The account was not a personal account and never gave them my SS or had my credit pulled. It was not a personal account. I never used the card, and left the company. A couple of years later the company folded and now they are reporting the charge off on my personal account. I called the issuer in 2012 and they agreed it should not be on my personal report. I got it removed once from one bureau. The card issuer said they would send me a letter but never did. Now in 2014, the negative information shows up again hurting my credit score. They also keep selling the account to third parties that start the process of collections all over again and each one treats it like it is a personal liability instead of a business account. What can I do?

Validation letter

It will keep showing up since they keep selling it over and over to collection agencies.  They paperwork that gets shuffled along has the same info that got it onto your report in the first place.  

Write a validation letter. Google it for a template. mail the letter to the Credit Reporting Agencies. They will have to validate the account and prove that your are the resposible party.  if they can't they will have to remove it from your report. I would hang on to that letter because you will probably need it again once the account is sold again. Which will probably happen once the account is not validated.   this will probably go on for 7 years, or until someone writes off the account. 

I would probably send another letter to the collection agency asking that your info be removed from the account since it isn't yours . They probably won't since they can't re-sell the account with out a responsible party, but it doesn't hurt to try. 

khp3655

Thanks. What can I do against the original creditor? They report the account as my personal account to the credit agencies, who then will tell me (after I challenge it) that the information is conformed by the original creditor. It is a big bank, GE Capital/Synchrony. They refuse to discuss the account over the phone, saying of all things I cannot prove it is mine, and have not responded to two of my letters, the second send by registered mail. I asked for the orginal paperwork showing that I was personally responsible (which does not exist), but the bank will not respond. It just sits there destroying my credit, which is otherwise excelent.