Question

workin184

Building my credit score
I have a few collections on my credit report and no credit cards. My credit score is pretty low and I was wondering if it was more beneficial to my score if I get the collections taken care of or get a card?

Chances are with collections

on your report, its doughtful that you would get approved for any credit card.  

Get those collections paid off if they are fairly recent.  If they are older than 5 years, then you may want to approach things a little differently.  

First have the accounts "Validated".   Google "Validation letter" for a template and more info on how they work. mail these letters to the Credit Bureaus.  Many times older collections will drop off your report.  Once the accounts are validated then go ahead and pay them off as quickly as possible.  

After these accounts are paid off then proceed with trying to obtain new credit. 

Derogs tend to have a major negative impact so do what you can to get them addressed.