Question

ruks79

Building My Credit
I just started taking my credit seriously. About 2 years ago, I opened a secure credit card. I've kept this card in great standing. My score has risen from 553 to 637. I qualify for a VA loan now which is great, but I would like to get my score higher. I try to only use between 1-9% every month and pay it off at soon as it reports. Should I accept a new credit card offer or just continue to pay on the one I have?

Part of building your credit is diversifying and growing your credit portfolio. If you only have a secured credit card, you're still in the early stages of building your credit. It would probably do some good to start getting into the world of unsecured credit in an smart way. You can start with one card or you can apply for a couple with great welcome bonuses; just make sure you do whatevers in your financial interest. Use them and pay them off if you get accepted. This will grow the number of accounts you have which is a factor, and when banks are willing to take a risk by extending you credit that's a plus on your score as well.

one caveat - when you do apply for a card, you will get a hard pull on your credit which will lower you score a couple points per application on one or several of the credit bureaus. but you'll get those points back in 6-9 weeks. good luck