Question

curi0us4boutcr3dit

building credit with a secured credit card
I am trying to build my credit with a secured credit card, I applied and got approved and put my deposit of $300.00. I have read advice about how to build your credit with secured credit cards and I know to use it regularly and to pay the bill as soon as I get it. But my question is what type of card use looks more responsible and builds your credit faster.

#1. If i used my card monthy for small purchases only using a portion of the $300.00 and then paying off the balance each month so each month I'm back at owing nothing until I use my card again. Or

#2. If I use my card whenever during the month, even possibly maxing it out and then paying whatever the monthly bill is, leaving a balance due on my card.

Does how you use your card even matter or is it more about as long as you pay your bill and don't miss payments?

secured card

In 2011, my Chapter 13 bankruptcy was discharged.  My credit union offered a secured card with an extra proviso - that after 12 on-time monthly payments, they'd convert it to an unsecured card (which is what they did).  During that year, I made a number of small charges on the card each month - paying off the entire balance when I received the invoice (not waiting for the due date).  If the secured card is your only card, you should never exceed a 30% utilization (that's $100 on a $300 card) in any given month.  Other than that, paying on-time is the key.

.

Check out my profile page and the site mentioned on it.