Question

daniellem1013

Bill recently sent to collections,I just paid in full will my credit score rise?
I had a hospital bill of 800 sent to collections within the past few months. I just paid the full amount. My question is will my credit score raise back up?

If not, what steps can I take to fix this? I was a full time college student/part time worker who just recently graduated, I had financial troubles/family issues and made the mistake of not paying the bill and would like to fix it if possible. Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Hopefully the collection company will remove the account from your reports since they got your payment, but unfortunately that is not generally the case. Usually simply paying a collection will just get it marked as a paid collection on your reports and that does little to help your credit. A paid collection is scored the same as an unpaid collection with FICO. What you should have done was to attempt a "pay for delete agreement" prior to paying the bill. Since you have already paid it, wait and see if the collection company removes it once the payment has been processed (usually within a month). If they do not remove it, then learn how to write a "Goodwill Letter" to send to them to request that they kindly remove the account from your reports. A paid collection does look better under manual review of your credit report and it does prevent you from being sued for the debt, so you did do the right thing by paying it, you just could have went about it in a better way. It always pays to do your homework first, make sure you do some reading or ask some questions on here before you take any other action with your credit reports.