Question

Axcess06

Beware of US Bank
In May 2015 (I'm 70 yrs old) I went into the hospital with lung cancer. They removed a third of my right lung. I was very sick afterward and as a result was late making a payment on my US Bank credit card. The bank's response was to increase my interest rate by 50%. They didn't contact me to offer any help, they just jacked up the rate and reported me to the credit bureau. I had the account since mid-2012. I have never been late on any credit card payments. Just that one time. So now, after 10 months, I called and asked them to reduce it back to the original interest rate. A supervisor, after I explained the above, politely declined. DECLINED. What a callus attitude. That's how US Bank treats its customers. If lung cancer isn't a good excuse, then what is? If you're considering applying for a credit card don't do it with that bank, they're unforgiving!

Your situation is unfortunate but a creditor can certianly impose a penalty APR for late payment.  This is not unique to US Bank.  Always make sure you read and understand the terms for your credit accounts.