Question

amijoi

best way to pay off credit to improve score
I will have money to pay off almost all of my credit accounts in a few weeks. What do I do with the cards once paid off? My thought is to close all but one store card and open a new visa/mastercard reward card but will that increase my credit score?

DO NOT close your paid off credit cards

You did not state if any of the cards are major such Visa, Mastercard, Discovery or American Express.  If you close these accounts, as well as the store cards,  it will cause a sudden drop on your credit scoring.  Pay them if you must, but leave them open.  If you insist on closing any, wait a while and try closing one of the newer paid accounts, because it won't harm the length of credit use as severely as older credit.

If you still need a major card, find one that suits your needs, such as lowest APR and/or best rewards.  Be patient and steady on that track and you will gradually see your scoring move up.   I moved mine up 204 points in 9 months, so I know it can be done.  Read my advice report on how I accomplished that, and it will give you ideas.