Question

suzyquezy101

Best way to increase credit and fico score in my situation
I unfortunately had someone use my credit before I was 18 years old. I started working on my credit after 7 years of the old debt being able to be deleted. I got up to a 630 and got a car loan, student loan, and some credit cards. Unfortunately due to frivolous spending, an illness and the family which caused me to take off work, and some financial issues, I ended up having several cards go into collections and about 18 late payments on my car loan and student loans. Went down to a 415 CS and today I am at a TU 580 and Experian 632. Im an authorized user on 2 credit cards. Besides making on time payments, what else can I do to increase my scores? I have a short-term goal of reaching 720 by October 2017.

Most Helpful Response

Depending on the date that all this "mayhem" happened to you, you may find that October 2024 may be a more logical time frame.  The collections and late payments will be key factor on your credit for 7 years from the occurence.   if you haven't already, get the collections paid off and time will take care of the late payments.   Then look to restoring your credit by slow and steady progress by getting a credit card designed for persons with bad credit (secured) and work you way from there.  Its not what happened, its how you recovered from it.

suzyquezy101

Thank you so much! 

I advise reading the articles on this site, since teaching about credit is the purpose of Credit Karma, then make the needed additions and corrections as needed to bring your score up.  Worked for me.

Thank you