Question

JeauBear

Best way to deal with Collection Agencies?
I have one last item in collections on my credit report, one from Comcast who sold it to a collection agency by the name of Stellar Recovery. I've called multiple times and every rep I speak to has told me that they absolutely do not do a Pay For Deletion as a company policy. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as far as how to proceed? Do I have any other options or is my only option to pay the debt in full and have it remain on my credit report for the duration of its life span, simply labeled, Paid in Full? Thank you to all who help, I really appreciate it! ^_^

I would not pay it unless you can get someone to agree to a "pay for delete". Did you contact Comcast to see if they would pull the account back from the collector in exchange for your payment to Comcast in full? If not, give that a try. If you already tried that, keep after the collection company for a pfd. Also, make sure that the collection company isn't violating the FDCPA in any way, because if they are, you may get it taken care of that way.

The people who answer the phones at any collection agency are not authorized to negotiate anything and they have a basic script of replies they can make.  Whenever you try negotiating anything (and getting a pay for delete requires negotiation) it must be done in writing.  This is a legal agreement and having this in writing is to both parties' benefit.  So you can first learn how to do a pay for delete and start doing "snail mail" so you can have copies of all communications from both sides.  No guarantee that you will get it, but written negotiations provide clear proof of what each party said and the letters may get to the people with authority, not a 'phone drone'.

JeauBear

Hello jwsister! Thank you kindly for the response! And yeah, it seems that every single phone rep I've spoken to has the exact same answers and are like you said, 'scripted.' I'll begin the exchange of documents via U.S Mail in hopes that I'll get better results. If it's not too much trouble, do you by chance have any resources you could offer me for templates that could assist me with the contents of what my letters should say to ensure I have the best chance of getting a positive resolution? Again, I appreciate all the help so much! Thank you and take care!