Question

mike0121

Best way to close credit cards
I just finished re-building my credit and was able to get a mortgage now what I would like to do is close some of those cards that ask for a 6 dollar a month and a yearly charge. I do not want to tank my credit score in the process but I still do not want to pay all those fees. Anyone know a good way to handle this ?

Most Helpful Response

Open a new card that doesn't charge fees

Now that you have the Mortgage you will probably be in good shape to open  new account's with no fee's.  Once you have the new account then close the account that charges.  Do it one at a time. over a period of months and you should be  OK.

Of course if you aren't planning on opening any new credit lines in the next few months, You could go ahead and close them right away.  This will have an impact on your score for a while. But if you don't need any new accounts for a while it won't matter.  

Personally, I have 6 Cards and pay no fee's or interest at all.

Good Luck