Question

Jimmy3550

Best was to deal with collection quickly
I have collection and I don't know where it came from. I never received a letter from them and they reported on Sept 2015. They list the amount owed (under 150.00), original creditor, and the date they reported. No late payments or date of original account, or account number. On one report they list debt as refinanced. I might have had a home phone account with OC 3 years ago but I don't remember an outstanding balance. I need it gone fast so should I just pay it, pay the original creditor if I owe, or ask them to verify or dispute the debt? I need to know the fastest and most most likely to get it removed. I know DC will sometimes make a deal to remove it if they get paid. Any advice from someone who has experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Just send them a letter telling them you do not recognize this debt and demand validation of the debt within 30 days from the date they receive the letter (which should be sent via certified, return receipt requested).  Keep copies of your letters and all communications from them.  Also, check all three credit reports and dispute any wrong information. Search for Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) and read about your rights and the proper procedures collection agencies must follow.