Best sign-up bonuses on $0 annual fee cards
I have a few credit cards already:

Wells Fargo By Invitation Visa: Open for 7 years, will never close this card, great rewards, use it for almost every purchase
Chase Sapphire Preferred: Wife uses this one almost exclusively, had great sign-up bonus, $95/yr
United Explorer: New card, signed up to get 70,000 bonus miles, won't use it much, but benefits to me are worth $95/yr

I plan close the Chase and United card eventually and open up new cards to get good sign-up bonuses. Rinse and repeat every couple of years for each. The problem with this is (1) more hard inquiries, which doesn't really concern me, and (2) a never-ending loop that hits my account age pretty hard.

For that reason, I want to think long-term and get a $0 annual fee card that I can keep open forever, helping eventually to boost up my average age while I flip the cards at the bottom periodically. Can anyone recommend a $0 annual fee card with a decent sign-up bonus and reasonably high credit limit (would help lower my utilization)?

the age of the accounts is more

important than the benifits.  by closing the older accounts you can lower your score 50 points each. Then you have to rebuild those points on the new cards.  The only reason to close any credit card account is A: you no longer use it and it charges you a fee to keep it. and B: Well there is no B....

The longer you have an account open and active, the better it is for your credit score, Period. The age of your accounts may only count as 10% of your score, But an older account with a perfect payment history can keep your score up when something does go wrong.   Think of it as the "law of averages"  

If your account is 1 year old and you miss a payment, thats 1 out of 12 or you have missed  8% of your payments.

if your card is 10 years old and you miss 1 payment thats 1 out of 120 or .08% of your payments.  See the difference?  That missed payment would have less immediate effect on your score on a 10 year old card than a 1 year old card.

You can open new accounts and get those great bonus points etc, with out closing your older accounts.  Personally, I have many CC's,  pay 0 in annual fees  and generally pay 0 in interest because I carry no balances on high interest cards, paying them off every month.

Plus you have to ask if yourself if are actually building your credit history, By closing cards you are not keeping that history in your file. Closed Credit accounts fall off your report after 7 years, But an account that is 10 or 20 years old stays on your report and gives you a great credit history, The kind lenders want to see. When you get a mortgage lenders want to  see a long credit history that reflects how your going to handle repaying the mortgage over time. If the longest history in your report is only a couple of years old, then they have no refference as to how you handle long term debt and will adjust your interest rates upwards to guard against the unknown. 

Also having "Enough" Credit.  How much is enough? Some experts say that you should have between 50% to 100% of your annual income in available credit. Or,  Could you live on your available credit if something catastrophioc happened?  Recently we had some forrest fires here in N.Cal.  I met a woman with 3 kids that was being forced out of the hotel they were staying in because she did not have a credit card available to charge the room to, she had maxed out her only credit card in 1 week.  Her house had burned down, they had no where to go, The insurance company said that they would pay for the hotel, but that wasn't going to happen until they settled the claim which could take 90 days or longer.

Think of open available lines of credit as part of your "Emergency Fund".   

hope that helps