Question

Posted in Saving Money

QuetaKCMO

best savings account

Aloha Friends, I second that thought.

Aloha Friends, I second that thought. A credit union is often a much better and competitive place. I've been a CU member for almost 20 years and for a little while I was even a member of their committee, and it surprised me how much better their car loan, savings, checking, etc. etc. was compared to my local commercial banks. The credit unions are concerned with taking care of their members, as opposed to a commercial bank which is concerned with making a profit. Last tip I'll leave here is that a credit union staff or manager is more accessible than a banks, if you have unique issues, you can sit down with your credit union staff or manager and talk one on one to get their advice or even help. I've never chatted with my regular commercial banks managers, but I chat with my credit union manager all the time and we're on a first name basis.

So this is just my humble 2 cents, and of course your mileage may vary. 

Take care and good luck!

KatieOCatCK

Thank you for posting SpartanHiker! It's something I've heard from other folks. Another pro-tip is that online-only banks often have much better savings rates for high-yield accounts than brick-and-mortar. Not always, but worth making sure you look at all your options! 

williammodel3

check out depositaccounts.com  very informative!

junaki02

What credit unions let average labor work type people sign up? I thought all credit unions were for government workers, military or something along those lines,

Ladykaycrdt

How can I join a Credit Union?

Discover is the best I've found

I belong to 2 credit unions and while they have better rates than banks, the savings interest is minimal.  That's why I put my money in a Discover savings account that now gets 2% APR.  They give you checks with the checking account which I also opened for quicker access.  Also includes a debit card.  I can do direct transfers in and out of my credit union accounts in about 3 days in case I want to do it that way.  Sure beats the brick and mortar places!!!

Ally

Ally bank has one of the highest if not the highest savings account interest rates as well as a variety of CD  options with excellent rates. I have a Roth IRA savings with them and have auto investment set up. It's all online so they don't have BS fees like a lot of banks

savings account

synchrony bank

Barclays

Barclays has an online savings, an online Dream Account both with 1.30%APY and various CD rates starting at 0.35 to 2.35%APY, among highest in the nation. Visit barclaysus.com to get details, no minimum balances nor fees. Dream account limited to $1000 a month.

Ally bank has a great savings account

I will try your local credit union sometimes they offer better rates than the big banks.