Question

rmrojas23

Best Buy Credit Card - Hard or Soft inquiry?
This seems to have to asked before, but I can't access the thread......?

I tried to apply for a best buy credit card (not because I necessarily needed it, but because I thought it would be good to have a lower end credit line open that I could take my time in paying off for this particular purchase). Obviously, this may have turned out to be a stupid, misinformed idea.

I was not approved. Is that going to be applied to my credit history now as a hard inquiry? I was denied on the website application. I didn't "set up a new account" so to speak. I just put in my social security number and driver's license number. If it does count as a hard inquiry - when would that show up on Credit Karma?

Most Helpful Response

Hi rmrojas, 

In general, any time you apply for a new credit card, a hard inquiry will be added to your credit report. This will happen whether or not your are approved for the credit card. If the lender checked your credit through TransUnion, this should appear on Credit Karma in a few weeks.