Question

Robcn643

Becoming an authorized user on high limit low utilization card hurt my credit score?
I have the opportunity to be added as an authorized user on an active card with a long history and a $25,000 limit. The card is paid in full each month. I am trying to rebuild history and get a higher score. The simulator tells me adding a 25,000 card will drop my score by 80 something points from 650 to 580. Is this true?

Most Helpful Response

CK's credit simulator is a badly broken tool and you should never pay much attention to its results. In theory, being added as an authorized user to a high-limit, low-utilization card should help your score. But scoring is so complex and secretive that nobody can really say what it'll do in any given case.

If your present credit is terrible, it's possible that the scoring algorithms will see $25k of new credit as being a negative for you.

Nobody answering these questions is a real financial advisor; we're just users muddling our way through the credit world like you. So take this for what it's worth. But at least in the case of being added as an authorized user, you've got one thing on your side. You can accept the offer and see what happens; if it hurts your score, you can ask to be taken off again.

Robcn643

Thank you Clarissa! 

I dont Think I have terrible credit, 4 cards $3500 CL total.  I keep my utilization under 20% always.  I am looking for an apartment and hope to lengthen my credit history as I have only had cards for 1.5 years.  The $25K card is at least 10 years active good history.  Going to go ahead and do it.  Thanks for the help!

Im in the same boat!

Hey, I am just wondering, did you go through with becoming an authorized user and did it help? I am young and new to credit history. My dad cosigned a card for me at a local bank and it has a $500 limit. I was reading where being an authorized user can help. He has a card that has a $25000 limit and has had the account since 95. Now, it does currently have a balance, but only like $1000 or $1500, and he has never missed a payment on any of his cards, so would it be beneficial for me to join this account or not?