Question

SaveMefromDebt

Bankruptcy firm filed for bankruptcy?
In April 2011, I was in dire need of sorting out my debt woes and after a quick search found a site called Legal Helpers. They put me in touch with a law firm in the Denver area "Macey & Aleman".

I made an appointment and ended up giving them $1500 over the next year. My case was then transfer to a new law firm that I was unaware of (seems that they never sent me correspondence, and the phone number stayed the same). This law firm is Jacoby & Meyers. From what I can tell, they are based in Chicago.

I recently got my debt under control, and wanted to look into getting a refund as outlined in my original contract. I could not get ahold of them. Yesterday, I get a letter that my case has been transferred one more time to "Jason Blust" law firm, (Clients First Bankruptcy) located locally to me.

I called them, inquiring about all these changes, and how to proceed in getting a refund (minus anything I might owe), and was told to send a letter in writing to the 2nd firm... as the only thing that they have is an amount owed ledger (about $600 more), OR that I can proceed with my case if I pay them that additional money due, but they are not responsible for the refund to me. Worse though, they tell me that Jacoby & Meyers has gone out of business and are in the process of filing bankruptcy themselves.

A search online, and the original firm (who received ALL my money up to this point), seems to have relocated to AZ. Can I involve them in this?

I did as was told and sent a certified letter to the 2nd firm. What else should I do? $1500 is a lot of cash to throw away.

Lastly, there seems to outstanding legal issues with the original firm as well. I googled them and one of the listings is:

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/2013-news/lhdr-complaint-without-exhibits-06122013.pdf

Funny thing, the address on record for this original firm, and "Legal Helpers" in the court complaint I linked to above is identical to the firm that I just sent a certified letter to. So, until this third firm... they've all actually been the same firm.

Now what?

I filed a complaint with the FTC, but how do I actually get my money back?

File a complaint with the FTC.