Question

futureRNsd

Bankruptcy before marriage?
My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 4 years. We are planning to get married in 3 years. I plan on filing for bankruptcy because my credit is a mess and even things I paid off are showing. He has excellent credit, so if after we are married and we want to buy a house once we are out of school will it affect us?

Bad idea!!!

Please read the informative articles on this site so that you can better understand hoiw credit works, because you really need to know these things!  Filing bankruptcy will hurt your credit score for 10 years and should be avoided because it is not a "fresh start" but a hassle (been there!!).

The things you paid off will disappear 7 years after the date of last payment.  There are things you can do to improve your credit.  Remember that, if you have any joint accounts after marriage, your bankruptcy will adversely affect them.  Please read and learn (that is what Credit Karma is for) and do what is necessary to avoid bankruptcy.

I noticed your tag line is future RN.  If you're having problems with Federal Student Loans, call Crest at 469-619-0644 and see if they can help get you into an income-based plan.  If you work for a non-profit company, you can get your loans forgiven after 10 years.  No cost to call and find out.  Also, Jwsister is right, filing BK is a horrible idea.  Visit www.credit.about.com for lots of great info on improving your credit.  Best of luck!