Question

MNperson

bankruptcy and record of paying loans in others names
Because of a terrible personal situation, I had to stop paying on all my credit cards because I did not have any money for months and all my creditors sent me deep into collections. Several close family members wanted to help but didn't have money to give me so instead loaned me their credit cards to help me get back on my feel a little with the understanding that I would then make the payments on their cards, which I have. I will not default on those payments because they helped me out of the goodness of their hearts, i will not destroy or black mark their credit, but my score is completely trashed (525.) A bankruptcy attorney told me that because I have paid credit cards and loans through my checking account on family members accounts, that the bankruptcy court will go back to my family members and make them pay MY creditors for my cards and loans because I should have been paying them instead??!! I was hoping bankruptcy could give me a fresh start so when I have paid back family members, I could get myself established again and stay on track, but certainly NOT if it means these creditors will go after my family! I feel sick about this....any suggestions?

I would find another attorney, that sounds whacked to me.  Also, consider using a non-profit debt counseling company instead of filing bankruptcy.  No cost to you and your credit isn't trashed for 10 years as it is with bankruptcy.  Best of luck!