Question

Zen011

Bankruptcy and credit report items
I filed bankruptcy about 2 years ago and I just decided to look at my credit score. I see that there are a few delinquent accounts showing up with past due payments, but those were supposed to be included in the bankruptcy. I think there were 5 accounts; 2 are student loans which nothing can be done with, but three are old department store cards that had less than $500 balances and i just decided to include in the bankruptcy, because why not? I guess my question is, should those accounts be showing up like that? As delinquent accounts with past due payments? Admittedly, i know very little about bankruptcy and went into it because it was my only option at the time. I wonder if this is normal and those accounts will eventually be removed by the bankruptcy as i continue to pay? Should i just ask my lawyer about it? Also, does anyone know anything about paying student loan interest while you're in bankruptcy? Many mother says i should, but my lawyer said I can't?? Any insight, tips, advice will be great!!!! Thank you

Most Helpful Response

Bankruptcy does not erase your credit history and those accounts are part of that history.  They will show on your report for up to 7 years after the bankruptcy (because that is the date of last activity), then will fall off.

Your attoney should know what the best procedure is for handling your loans during the bankruptcy, so follow his advice.