Question

Vegasjason

Bank of America Discharged credit card not part of a bankruptcy
I got a letter in the mail saying that Bank of America is discharging me from a past credit card debt. It clearly states I'm no longer held responsible for the debt but I have to pay tax on it.

This is something they sent me never asked for it and it was not part of a bankruptcy.

The question is how can I get it deleted from my credit reports?
Since they are say no joy to the debt I should be able to get it removed.

Please help

Just searching thru google here's what i found:  most types can only be listed on credit reports for seven years.

After the account was 180 days past due, the credit card company probably charged it off and sold the balance to a collection agency. The seven-year clock began again on that date. It would not restart if and when the collector gave up and sold it to a different agency, but it would have had you made a payment (or even promised to do so).

Just because their not looking for their money doesn't mean you can just easily get it off your report.  Adding it to your credit history is kinda their way of saying "you don't want to pay us, that's fine but here's something that you'll have to live with for a long time" so it's more of an incentive for people to pay them back.

So most likely for 7 years it'll be kept on your history.