Question

Goletaman

Bank closed credit card and opened new one without permission. Can they do this?
My husband has had a credit card with our local credit union for 15 years. The credit union recently sent a notice saying that they were changing systems and changing our student visa over to a rewards visa. The letter said that we didn't have to do anything. We went into the local branch and confirmed that this wouldn't affect our credit and that the rewards visa would show as being open since 2001. They said that was correct.
Well, I just pulled the credit report and it shows the student visa as being closed and the new visa as being opened by us in July!!! We went back into the branch and asked if this was a mistake and they said it was, that shouldn't have happened.
We called card services and they said that it had to be reported that way and there was nothing we could do. We then asked to have the new card closed and removed from our credit history since we hadn't authorized it and had been given different information from the local branch. They said that the could close it, but they couldn't remove it and it would show that the consumer closed the credit card.

Can they do this?? Is this even legal?? In the past with other credit card companies, if they changed systems or cards, our account history still remained intact and the new card didn't show up as a new account.
Please help!

Can they do it, yes they can and apparently they did.  If you never activated the card and never used the card, you can file a dispute to have the account removed as you never requested it and never activated it.   However, you had a single transaction on the account, it made the account active and will be much harder to have it removed if you can at all. 

Goletaman

I'm not sure that my husband even activated it.  He's not carrying it on him.  I'll have to look for the card at home.  I can say 100% for sure that he hasn't used it.  This account was left over from when he was a student and it has a super low credit limit.  We've kept it open because of the credit history and because it was linked with our credit union.

I'm so mad about this, I'm considering closing all our accounts and moving them to a different bank.

Goletaman

Oh and we usually only use it once or twice a year to keep it active.