Question

egyptian42

Balance transfer with transaction fee versus straight interest.
I intend to charge a large dental bill to a credit card. My bank is offering an interest free balance transfer for 18 months with a 3% transfer fee. How do I figure out whether I would I would pay more in interest if I just charged it without the balance transfer and paid it off in the same 18 months?

I hate math....

But the easiest way to view it :  

if your dental work will cost $2000.  

A 3% transfer fee will be $2000. x .03 = $60.   $2060./18 months = $114.44 monthly payment.  Also be aware that if the Balance transfer is not paid off before the promo ends you may be responsible for the interest on the whole amount so you always want to pay off those promo transfers on time. 

A credit card charging 19% APR  would be $2000 x .19 = $380 per year  x 1.5 yr = $ 570    $2570./18 mo =142.77 monthly payment to pay off in the same time.  

These numbers aren't exact since interest is charged on the balance due on the day its calculated, But this will give you a general idea of how much it would cost either way. 

Good Luck