Question

MA930

Bad score due to student loans!!
I am just about to graduate from college. I have a little under 10k in student loans. As I do not need to start paying after graduation I am confused as to why my score is so poor. I had several bad marks on my credit about three years ago, which now have fallen off. I have one secure credit card that is maxed out but with perfect payment history. How and when can I improve my score??? I'd like to buy a house in the next few years.

Most Helpful Response

first off student loans will be calculated into your debt to income ratio when you apply for a mortgage so that needs to be considered....but to answer your question if your card is maxed out you'll want to get the utilization down to under 10% this will give the maximum benefit in points toward your score ie: $1,000 limit get it to under $100 and you will see a 20 point increase minimum as far as credit lines you have the minimum open which is 2...1 cc and 1 student loan so that is ok once you get utilization down on 1st card i'd suggest getting a 2nd card the Quicksilver One capital one mastercard is a nice cash rewards card for some one with 563-618 credit score 1.5% cash back with a $39 annual fee so you spend $2600/yr and the cash back will pay for the annual fee in the sense you will get $39 back you still have to pay the $39 first