Question

jasong123

Bad experience with Kohls credit - Trying to fix credit report
Okay here's the story. I got a Kohls credit card back in February. I made an in store purchase of about $50 on the account while applying for the credit. After that I didn't receive a single piece of mail from them. Not a single bill. Not even the credit card. I will admit part of the issue I am facing is my fault. I got married in February and had a lot going on in my life and a lot of bills coming up so I forgot about the purchase. It didn't help matters that I never received a bill from Kohls. Back around May I noticed an entry from Kohls on my credit report for being 120 (I think) days late and owing around $200 including late fees.

I called Kohls right away and explained the situation. The rep told me they would settle the account if I paid the principal amount due and they would waive the late fees. She also told me she would send my case to another department which would decide what to do about my credit report. We agreed I would make the payment after I got an answer about my credit in the mail. I waited about a month and got nothing in the mail from Kohls.

Soon after that I got a letter from a collection agency. So I called Kohls immediately. They claimed they sent me a letter saying my request to have the information removed from my credit was denied because they never received any returned mail. They claimed they sent it to collections because they hadn't heard from me a couple weeks after informing me of that. They told me the only way to stop it from going to collections is pay them $150 immediately to settle the account when I had a previous agreement with them of $50. I was upset and asked for a supervisor who also refused to honor the previous agreement. So I asked for his supervisor who I argued with for about a half hour then he finally agreed to review recordings of previous calls. A couple weeks later I got a call from Kohls telling me they would honor the previous agreement of $50 and stop all collections activity. I immediately made the payment and was informed my credit would be changed to reflect the payment and the agreement.

Over the following weeks I watched my credit report and nothing changed. I called once or twice a week and was told to wait 30 days and it would change. I was also told all collection activities had been stopped.

Last Friday was the 30 day mark and still nothing had changed. So I called Kohls. The rep told me the change would not happen automatically and I had to write a letter to another department requesting the change and he said they could deny my request. They were even unwilling to report the payment I made or report the account as settled. I talked to a supervisor who told me the same thing and starting being very rude to me and basically bragging that it would affect my credit for 7 years. Very unprofessional.

At this point I am done dealing with Kohls and exploring other options. I am thinking about disputing this with the credit reporting agencies. Is this a good idea? If I do how should I word my dispute? I had success doing this with an old cell phone bill that I didn't agree with the amount I owed. The entry was removed within a week but that was a different situation. Is there another option here? Should I keep going back and forth with Kohls until they honor their agreement? Aren't they legally required to at least report that I made a payment? Can I take legal action against them? This is the only major negative thing I have left on my credit and I want to get it resolved so I can refinance my car and maybe buy a house in the next few years.

No creditor is legally bound to report anything the the credit bureau.  All reporting is voluntary.  You can try the dispute route, although, the difficult part is that you have nothing in writing.  You have no recordings of telephone calls of their commitment.  You only have he said, she said.  You definately have an uphill batter.  In all that you stated, nothing indicated why you never received anything from Kohls.  You need a copy of your application to reflect the address provided.   If you never received a credit card and you never received letter of terms and conditions, you may not have legally had an account with them.  Routinely, the card and the terms arrive together and when you activate the card, this is your accepting the terms and conditions.  I'd consult a local attorney, you'd be surprised how they respond when they receive demand from an attorney.

I am not sure why I didn't receive any mail from them. I gave the correct address on the application. I never received the credit card or a letter of terms and conditions. However when I made the in store purchase I signed the keypad you use to swipe a credit card so I am not sure if that counts as agreeing to their conditions or not. They also gave me a printed receipt that served as a temporary card to use in their store until I received the real one in the mail. Maybe I will consult with an attorney before doing anything else. I actually attempted to record the call when they made the agreement with me but the app I had on my phone didn't work properly. I know they have recordings though because they told me they reviewed them. Perhaps I can subpeona them if this goes to court. I don't want to go to all that trouble. I just want my credit fixed but I am ready to take it as far as i have to.