Question

mmarkss

Bad Credit With No Debt...Help!
I started to repair my credit almost a year ago by paying off all my negative debts. My credit has barely increased! I opened a secure credit card which originally shot my score up almost 100 points but after a month it went down by 80-something points, I paid the bill before it was due and the full amount, not the minimum! I have federal student loans and a car loan that has been paid on time every month for over two years. My credit score is currently a 582! Awful! After I paid off my debts I waited for them to stop being reported as active to the credit bureaus but it still looks like they are being reported. I have sent complaints to the BBB for all accounts and still no change.

I'm looking for a solution to the reporting companies and any input on how to raise my score otherwise. At this point I don't think it would be smart for me to get another credit card (and with such a lousy score I doubt I would even qualify.) But any other advice is much appreciated!

You need more good credit to off-set the negative info.  This is going to sound nuts, but you should have not paid off the secured card early, that is why your score dropped.  Get another card and keep a tiny balance on it, your scores will increase.  Also, I suggest going to a credit union and getting a "credit builder loan", that will add another line of credit and a different type of credit (installment instead of revolving) and that will also drive your scores up.