Question

M1dnight

bad credit was once removed after 7 years
After a bad abusive divorce I found that just before seperation he moved many of his debts to my credit via internet. Now I am between a rock and a hard place. I can not prove he had done this seeing it was done via computer, and I did not have the funds to pay for it. But after several attempts I finally let it go into collections, it was eventually marked closed - Charged off as bad debt - Canceled by credit grantor. After 8 years it should have been removed from my credit, but a collection agency scared me with threats of prison time, etc.. So, I started paying $5.-$10.00 a month and it is showing up again since Istarted paying them what they what ARS demanded? I would appreciate any suggests, advice, etc.. Should I stop paying ARS? Are their threats valid? Or BS? Thank you in advance... Sincerely, "trying to get back on her feet"

First off, there is no imprisonment for debts owed, so their telling you this is a huge load of BS.  That is a violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act(FDCPA) and needs to be reported.  When you got the divorce, you both should have been given papers that specified the terms of the divorce and who pays what.  Any debts he was responsible for are not your responsibility,no matter how he tried to avoid paying them.  And, after 8 years, the debts are generally not collectable.

There are fine things ARS can be called, but it's best to refrain from using such language. But stop paying them, tell them they are being reported for flagrant violations of the FDCPA for (and do that. I believe it's the FTC that takes care of this), do not accept any phone calls and refuse all letters from them. Don't get scared by them because they know they did wrong and were just trying to get money by whatever means they could.  Time to put a screeching halt to this one! 

M1dnight

Thank you so very much jwsister! I appreciate your wisdom, I was to worried to think straight, As, for having the 8 yrs old debt removed from credit, would you suggest I write or call the credit company?