Question

workerbeetryingtogetahead

Back taxes AND student loans...deadly combo...is there any way to make ends meet while paying them?
Hello, I won a large sum of money on a game show while I was in college. The taxes were not deducted from the winnings before they were presented to me and I did not pay them in. I owe approximately $40,000 in back taxes. In addition, I have about $40,000 in student loans to pay off. I am just starting in my career (as a single mother) and am making approximately $40,000/year. Does anyone have ANY advice as to how I could reduce my monthly payments, or consolidate my loans? I am working my way up the corporate ladder, but am having a lot of challenges with company expense reimbursements because I have so much money being taken out ofmy check, that I cannot afford to "front" the money for business expenses, and I also cannot get approved for a credit card. Help! :)

Yes, you may qualify for a federal loan consolidation for your student loans which has ICR (income contingent) or IBR (income based) repayment plans.  Your monthly payments will be based on your income.  I told my sister about it and her payments are $75 a month!  Plus if you work in a public service field, you may qualify for forgiveness of the balance after 120 payments on either of those plans.  Go to http://www.loanconsolidation.ed.gov/ to get started or find out more info.