Question

Daneshea

Authorized user/Utilization Credit
I am an authorized user in someone's credit card account. They recently had to use over their credit limit due to an emergency and will not be able to pay it all at one (will be making monthly payments) so my credit utilization has increased to way over 50% and therefore, has affected my scores. If I get myself out of the account, will my credit utilization go back down? And will the score get a boost or will it take time to go back up? This is killing me! I've worked hard to increase my credit and it has gone down a LOT after the credit utilization was reported this month. HELP! Has anyone had this happen and has been able to fix it?

You should be able to call into the credit card company that you are an authorized user on and tell them you did not authorize being added.  This will get you taken off as an authorized user.  You can additionally request the submit a request to the credit bureaus and have the history of the card you were an authorized user of taken off.

---

One thing to note with this approach is that when adding an authorized user the fine print says if you add someone without their consent your account may be closed/cancelled by the company so make sure you are ok with that possibly happening (I am not sure how often they actually do that).

I would advise to have the person that holds the card contact the credit card company and get you removed as an authorized user.