Question

erkantarik

Authorized CC user and my credit score
I am an authorized user on another's primary account. He recently took a large line of credit from his CC account; this CC debt placed my credit usage to almost 50% (previously it has been at 10%. My agency scores fell from 810 to 612 immediately. I need to restore my excellent credit. What can I do? If we remove me as an authorized user, and my credit usage returns to 0-5%, would my scores immediately be restored to former excellent levels?

Most Helpful Response

yes; but beware...

Yes your score will reflect the lower credit utilization, however the age of credit and credit limits (as used in some FICO scoring models) will also reflect the change as well.  It might be better to just ride it out until the balance is lowered.  Remember, unless you are in immediate need of a high score; i.e. applying for credit, there's no reason to work on your credit utilization as the credit balance you carry from month to month is only reviewed at the time of an application.