Question

Tommy9109

Asked to pay on a very old account
Ok here goes... I work for a big cable company and can receive very cheap cable/internet service as a benefit; only if all of my old accounts are paid. They are asking for money from an account that is 15 years old. If that debt was sold to a collection agency and well more than 7 years have passed, can they legally ask me to pay that? Regardless of being an employee or not, it seems like double dipping to me, however, I'll admit that I don't know much about this topic.

Depends on the debt, which you did not specify.  If you had any student loans, or alimony or child support, those do not drop off until after they have been paid in full. Otherwise, a fifteen year old debt is past even the longest statute of limitations for collections and is not collectable under the FDCPA, which is a federal law regarding collection activities. 

I think you are saying you owe money to the company you work for on a debt past SOL. The answer is, the debt is still valid even though its past SOL, while they cant report it or enforce it, they can refuse to do further business with you if its not paid.