Question

mnc2597

As Negatives Age Off...?
I'm getting my credit in decent shape, but have 6 negative accounts that will all age off of my reports over the next year. What kind of a bump can I expect on my score as they drop off? Two will be gone next month, one the following month, 2 in January and the last one next June. Are they irrelevant at this point? Will my score rise as each one is removed? Anyone have an idea how much? Thanks!

While bad debts falling off the report can help your FICO score, but only if you have other accounts that are paid on-time, have low utilization, and are varying types of credit.

Otherwise, you would likely need to start rebuilding credit with say a secured credit card.

I had 4 negatives drop off over a 6 month period and my score improved by 60 points. However, I also had newly acquired cc debt that I was paying on at the same time (making on time payments). So it's hard to say which one attributed more to the increase. As financeslayer noted, it does help that you have other accounts that are paid on time at the same time bad debt is dropping off.  

mnc2597

Thanks to both of you for the replies.  I have a pretty good mix of student loans paid on time for over 10 years, 3 credit cards always on time and usually paid off monthly and a car loan that's good.  Just an FYI...  I think it was a variety of factors, but I saw a 41 point jump this month after a collection fell off.