Question

BCal98

As a college freshman, what would happen if....?
I am a freshman in college and am considering getting the Journey Student Credit Card (of course my parents have agreed, they recommended it). However, I would never used the card and it would be STRICTLY for emergencies.

My question is, will having a credit card that I never, ever use hurt my credit score? Would I be negatively punished if the card just sat around?

Thanks in advance.

Most Helpful Response

go for it

no you wouldn't be punished for it.  find out when it would be closed due to inactivity and make sure you use it at least that often.   i have several accounts that don't get used for months at a time.   and just so you hear it one more time, be responsible with it.

Just use it once every six months at least. Be aware lenders like seeing regular timely paynents too. Prompt payment accounts for 35% of your score. If you never use it, then your FICO score won't rise either. Never use more than 10% of the credit limit. 

Please read the articles here and other sites online to educate yourself.