Question

Inquierer

Are all collections reported to credit bureaus?
My college sent my tuition debt to a 'Credit Reporting Agency' is that the same as a collector?

I have asked both my original creditor (the school) and the collection agency(?) if this will be reflected on my credit score?

I'm willing to pay the full amount, but rather not if I will recieve a derogatory mark on my credit report.

The agency said they don't report anything. Only the school can. And on my school's website they write:

addition, non-payment or a default judgment against a student's account may be reported to a credit bureau and be reflected in their credit report.

May be?

Seems equivocal?

Most Helpful Response

Credit Reporting Agency are commonly know as Credit Bureaus like TransUnion. And it's not a collection agency.

-

Is your student current and paid on time as agreed?

Inquierer

Sorry i don't understand. So if a credit reporting agency is the same as a credit bureau and I'm paying a collection to them, will my credit score be affected negatively?
That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.
My sister had her unpaid cellphone bills sent to collections a year ago, she still hasn't paid, and it has not been reflected on her credit score ! She only owes them $300 maybe that's why. I owe $3000.

I did not pay the school tuition on time. And the credit reporting agency did not give me a time by when i need to pay off debt. They're accepting of any amount i give them.
I think my debt has not been bought off. I think its being managed?
That does not affect credit score, right?
Not in the far off future too, right?

Is this a Federal school loan? If so, you better get it paid as it can haunt you forever if you do not. Not all debt collectors utilize the credit bureaus, but just because you do not see a collection on your reports now, it doesn't mean that one cannot pop up and I am very surprised that you are not seeing one now. If this was not a Federal loan maybe enough time has lapsed that they cannot legally put the account on your credit reports (7years).

Inquierer

I applied for loans but never got the money. I only owe the school tuition.