Question

Megan495

Apt. complex collections / lease agreement discrepancy

Question:

My husband & I split and we lived in apt. complex. We both moved out; he was there during final walk thru and everything was fine. Now we both have a bad debt on our credit reports because we didn't pay $875 for carpet replacement.  The thing is..  in the lease agreement it states that tenants can be responsible for repairs and carpet if they had pets. We never had pets and lived there for 4 years.  Seems like they would have to change the carpet anyway...  I told the collections guy that per the lease agreement, it wasn't in there that we were responsible for that.  His reply was "it's not not in there".  I told him that was the dumbest thing I ever heard.  Thats like them sending me a bill for $1,000,000 when I moved out and saying that its OK because it's not not in the lease that they can't do that.  The apt. rep that did the walk thru w/ him quit a few days after the walk thru so he didn't get a copy.  but, it seems like it still violates the terms of the lease since we didn't have pets but are still getting billed for carpet. 

*I don't particularly care that it may bring my credit score down; I bought a house when I moved out so I had already got my home loan and I don't plan on buying anything else.  I'm just curious if they can take tax money or garnish wages, etc.    I always pay my debt but I really don't agree w/ this and don't plan on paying it.

*And the same amount is on my ex-husbands...  how could I even trust it to be marked as settled if he paid half and I paid half.  I just don't trust these collections companies and I did research on this particular company that has this debt now and they seem pretty shady based on feedback/reviews.