Question

scottyent

Applying for a card with spouse?
Hey all,

My wife and I are considering opening a new credit card account, but I had some questions about how best to approach this, and what recommendations the community may have. We are getting married in a little over a month, so we figured with the amount of spending we are about to do, we might as well benefit from it!

For that reason, we started looking for a great intro offer. The Chase Sapphire seems to be the best, but I'm not sure about the rewards after that. I already have a Quicksilver card with 1.5% cash back that I primarily use, I have a bank of america 3-2-1 card that gives 3% on gas, 2 % groceries, and 1% for everything else.

My wife has a Chase Freedom card and a Discover IT card for the rotating 5%.

I thought about the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred because of the 6% on groceries and the fact that Costco accepts it (though not for much longer). They have an OK intro offer of 150 back after spending 1000 dollars, and I have always thought about attempting to start a relationship with AMEX for the future.

Any advice on a particular card that would fit into our arsenal and provide an intro boost as well?

Also, as per the subject, I was wondering if we can apply together and if that would increase our odds. Her FICO score is like 750, but she has only 1.5 years of credit.

My FICO is probably closer to 680, possibly higher (with a few blemishes), but I have almost a 10 year history.

Not sure which one of us would be more likely to be approved for something like the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred or Chase Sapphire Preferred!

Why not just keep the cards you both own.... You can do what is called piggy backing...... Place her as an authorized user on your credit card(s) and let your soon to be wife do the same thing for yourself. You both will gain a great payment history as well as instant boost of credit worth.

scottyent

Thanks for the response! We actually have done that, I am an authorized user on her Discover and Chase card, and she's just an authorized user on my Bank of America card. I would add her to my 10 year old capital one card, but that does not have a perfect payment history so I am afraid it would hurt her new and so far spotless credit record. 

I guess the only reason we were looking at a new one was to take advantage of some great intro offers, plus perhaps diversify rewards a little bit. The 6% on the Amex is really the only rewards that would "beat" our current offerings, and being accepted at Costco is a very nice plus (until it isn't next year). 

I have gotten an offer quite a few times for the Citi 2 percent card, which is slightly better than my 1.5%. Not a huge difference, but could add up over time.