Question

RoxxSTL

Applied for a CC. Equifax had a hard inquiry and dropped 40 points! Trans unaffected?
I applied for a Target CC and was approved. Equifax showed a hard inquiry and dropped 40 points. Trans Union showed no hard inquiry and score was unaffected. Why would this happen? I read hard inquiries only dropped your score a handful of points. Thanks.

It's my first hard inquiry. I have 3 credit accounts. I have a 753 with trans and now a 703 with Equifax. No late payments and good standing with other cards. Just seemed strange it dropped so much. Thanks for the replies.

Few cards report to more than one credit bureau, which is likely why only Equifax weas affected.  The effect on your credit score depends on many factors which were covered in the articles here.'

Certain credit cards will only pull from certain bureaus. What I've been doing is looking up which bureau a company pulls from and it has been pretty accurate, for instance I have applied for 6 accounts in 2 years but I only have 2 inquiries per bureau. 

As to your score dropping that much it could be a few things. The main question that pops into my mind is do you have a lot of inquiries? If so that is almost definitely contributing.

They probably only ran your credit with Equifax. That much of a drop should not be from a single inquiry, either something else changes or the Vantage roller coaster is going wild again. I ignore Vantage scores. Most lenders use a version of FICO scores and they are not as wild as the ones you get here.