Question

StreamDweeler

Annual Credit Card Fee
I have seen lots of good things discussed on CK about the Chase Sapphire Blue credit card and I received an offer for it today. I was considering it until I saw that there is a $95 annual fee after the first year. With all of the good cash back and bonus point cards available with no fee, why would anyone get a credit card with an annual fee? Am I missing something?

Most Helpful Response

I don't think you are missing anything.  Frankly, I avoid cards with annual fees.

It depends

It depends on the amount, where, and what your're spending money on. Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for dining and travel points. Those points can be used on Amazon.com to purchase items or can be redeemed for gift cards.

American Express Blue Cash Preferred charges a $75 annual fee, but earns 6% on groceries up to $6000 annually.  The rewards I've accrued, make up for the annual fee. The Blue Cash Everyday, has no fee and you'll earn 3% on groceries up to $6000 annually.

There are certainly many cards out there without fees. CitiBank Double Cash, Bank of America Cash Rewards card and their Travel Rewards card. Chase offers the Chase Freedom card and Chase Freedom Unlimited are available with no fee.

Many of these rewards are negated if you carry a balance and pay interest.  You should only charge what you can comfortably pay off every month. Live within your means.

The main benefit of the Chase sapphire preferred card is that it has no foreign transaction fees.

But what differentiates it from all of the free cards is that the rewards can be transferred to different airlines and also to hotels. For example, The chase UR points can be transferred to United Airlines and then used for a flight. In general a flight anywhere in the US will be under 15,000 points on United. This gives you the ability to make the points worth a lot more than if you just got a 1 cent per point cash back card etc