Question

WillT35

An unknown debt collection showed up on my credit report. What do I do?
I checked my credit report and have a debt collection now on my transition report. It's states the debt collection was sold from capital one but I've never had an acccount with them. Advice?

First write a letter to Transunion or do an online dispute concerning the collections..... Ask to check the validity of the account..... This process will take up to 30 days; but no more than that to find out. If Transunion responds as valid; then I would call the collections agent directly and ask a series of questions as to why they have your personal information. Make them provide proof that you personally obtained such a debt. Dates, times, and signatures they must provide binding you to this debt.....

Dispute the account with the credit bureaus that are listing it. Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites. If this is truly not your account and you have any trouble getting it removed, contact a FDCPA attorney and start suing. FDCPA stands for "fair debt collection practices act". Do some reading on it.