Question

Rckchlkgrl

An authorized user on my card is filing bankruptcy - will it hurt my credit?
My mother is an authorized user on my credit card and is now filing bankruptcy. She is claiming the card as she was the only one using it and had maxed it out without my knowledge (she was the only one who made the payments on the card though since I rarely used it) . I am curious to know how this will effect my credit since I am technically the primary account holder? Feeling pretty discouraged as this card was opened in my teens to help build up my credit and now it looks like all its gonna do is hurt me thanks to my own parents :/

Most Helpful Response

You're liable for all of it

It's important to realize the primary accountholder is legally liable for everything an authorized user does. In other words, when you agree to give another person access to your account, you also agree to pay for their purchases and deal with the consequences of their mistakes.  She's not liable for any of it, and I don't believe she will be able to claim it as part of her bankruptcy.  A co-signer is liable for their portion of purchases, but it's still a bit of a nightmare to go to court and file a petition holding them responsible for their expenditures.

You must not have been monitoring your credit, or you would have observed the balance and payments not being made. You're learning a hard lesson. 

It's up to you to sign up online for all accounts and set up alerts for balance threshholds, payment due date, and a multitude of other alerts. Since lenders report to the credit bureaus once a month, a lot can occur in between.