Question

scottsmm

AMEX BCP sign-up bonus investigation
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm a fairly new credit card user so forgive me for any general mistakes. I recently checked my prescreened offers on AMEX and found that I qualified for the Blue Cash Preferred Card with a 250 sign-up bonus after spending 1k in the first three months. Admittedly, as a college student the 250 would be quite nice. However, I mistakenly ended up applying just generally online instead of through the prescreened offer(stupid I know). So instead as it stands currently I'm set to receive a 100 statement credit and 1 year of amazon prime(which I wouldn't even use). I ended up calling AMEX customer service about this, and they told me that they are going to initiate an investigation which will take 6-8 weeks. What do you guys think the outcome of this investigation will end up being if you've had similar experiences with AMEX before? Do you think they will give me the better sign-up bonus or tell me to kindly shove it?

As a side note, to further complicate the whole process I reapplied under the prescreened offer of the page to see if I could get the same card with the better sign-up bonus. I got told after applying that it is pending further review. Pretty remarkable how you have the Credit Score, and everything else to qualify for the same card, and a few days later you are now pending further review but I digress. Something tells me regardless of the outcome, reapplying for this card with a better sign-up bonus was a big mistake.

Most Helpful Response

First it should not take 6-8 weeks for them to investigate the claim, if this is a promotional offer, then the company should know right away. Sounds like they are trying to stall until the offer expires. I would call back and ask to speak to a manager and provide proof of your special incentive. Don't take no for an answer. This is your investment into their company. Don't agree if you are not 100% happy with what they are offering. Side note: do become emotionally attatched to have a credit card, you will make poor choices as a result of having one...

scottsmm

Do you think I can make a case for the proof of my special offer being my second application for the card with the 250 bonus attached to it? I used the prescreening offer directly on their website. So unfourtunately, I do not have any code from an email or mail offering. I suppose it is worth a shot. 

Thank you for responding. I thought it was erroneous at best that it would take 6-8 weeks to investigate this, just imagine the wait time they would need to investigate fraud from an outsider... 6-8 years? 

AMEX BCP sign-up bonus investigation

Scottsmm, I have the same issue with Amex.  The offer cameup on Google and I clicked on it and signed up for Amex Blue which was suppose to be the same bonus as yours.  They have been jacking me around since February and now tellling me it is another (second) investigation which will take another 6 to 8 weeks.  I have two Amex cards which will both be cancelled if I don't get their promised bonus offer.  It is way past the 3 months and way over $1000 spent.  I was hung up on twice on the 800# and have been on chat numerous times with extrememly long wait times!  I am very disappointed in Amex at this point.  And will go back to Discover card, a human always answers your call and they fix problems quickly!