Question

waballou

Am I responsible for healthcare debts of my wife accrued when she was a dependent on her parents?
My wife's parents failed to pay a number of medical bills when she was living in their home. We were not married until 2014. Collections contacted her parents and they failed to respond for a very long time. Fast forward to 2014 when my wife and I got married. Collections contacted me about the debts accrued while she was living at home a dependent of her parents. I went ahead and paid the debts immediately, but now the collections have damaged my credit. I paid them the very first time I was contacted about these debts. Am I responsible? And if not do I go about removing the collections from my credit report?

Her parents not you should be responsible. But with you making the first payments it might be that with that gesture you assumed the responsibility. You can dispute these debts with the credit agency's and see where that might lead. I would.