Question

m252

Am I responsible for CC debt after my husbands death if bank can't prove I'm joint on account?
My husband died recently. There is a credit card that was opened in 1989 that has a balance. The bank says they do not have written proof that it's a joint account vs me just being an authorized user because the account is so old. They say because they have been reporting joint to the credit bureaus, it is joint, and therefore I owe the balance, but again, they have no proof. The balance is $10k and I have an excellent credit score. How would you proceed?

Most Helpful Response

Dispute the account with the credit bureaus stating that you were only an authorized user on the card an no longer are. If that doesn't work, consult with a consumer law attorney and see what they can do to help.

m252

Thank you so much for your reply! What effect will that potentially have on my credit score? I'll need to sell my house soon and then purchase a smaller one. I am afraid this will have a potential financial impact if my credit score drops considerably. I have an estate attorney but they've been no help with this situation beyond relaying information exactly as the bank states it to them. My husband had the monthly payment set up on autopay from our joint checking account and I left that just as he had it, so payments up to this point have been made on time despite his death. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. After the death of a spouse you feel a bit alone in your decision making.