Question

MikeReal

Alliance One attempting to collect on 9 yr old debt
Ive used lexington law to validate all my debts on my credit report. It was the easiest way to verify all my debts without sending tedious letters. (I am out of town allot). Alliance One has a 90 dollar debt sticking to my experian so I called them to pay it. However they were asking me to pay a total of $3,000 dollars! I asked what it is for and she said traffic tickets in Battleground, WA. She told me they were dated from 2004 and she will send me a packet of info. I do not remember these tickets and I definitely am not excited and wanting to pay $3000? Can they legally garnish wages, bank accounts, etc for these debts? do statue of limitations apply to traffic tickets? the only thing reporting from them is $92.

Most Helpful Response

First thing is, never, ever, acknowledge a debt. Always ask for proof of the debt and the original creditor if different from those trying to collect. Once you acknowledge a debt it then becomes a current debt (on your credit report.) While the individual states statutes of limitations may determine if they can legally sue, the debt can remain on your credit report for 7 years after you acknowledge its validity. Pay the $90 and get that cleared up right away since you called them and acknowledged it.

Alliance One sounds like a debt collector, and not a creditor, that may be contracted by the jurisdiction where the traffic offenses took place. You may have been tagged as the offender mistakenly. The only way to resolve this one is to obtain proof and then if you are not the individual (if moving violation) or the owner of the vehicle (still violation) then you must provide them with a written denial that you are not the individual in question.

Good luck!

and..

how should I respond?

You respond by denying any debt and requesting verification, in writing, of the original creditor and documentation proving the identity of the debtor is you.

If they cannot provide that then file a dispute with the credit bureaus. If they do send the requested information it might just jog your memory about those tickets, or they may have made an ID error.