Question

Hisoka21

Agreeing to repay a collection but forgetting to get the settlement and negotiations in writing?
I'm currently in the process of fixing my credit. I recently contacted a collection agency about settling on medical debt. I realized after reading the community advice that I should have gotten the agreement in writing and negotiated to have all the derogatory remarks removed. How do I go about fixing my blunder and do it in a correct way where when I pay them the settlement amount they will agree to remove the negative remarks.

Well if it wasn't in writing you are probably not bound by the agreement anyway (check your state laws to be sure). But when it comes to "pay for delete agreements" most debt collectors will not put that into writing, so that could be an issue for you. You should get the settlement amount in writing first MOST DEFINITELY.  I would get creative and send them a check or money order with the following in the memo line "full settlement amount, by cashing (debt collector) agrees to remove from credit reports"