Question

asimpkins01

After paying off credit card how long does it take to get more credit?
This is my first credit card, I have a capital one platinum. My dad advise that I pay all my payments off in full. I was wondering after I do pay in full how long does it takes to get more credit on my credit card?

Most Helpful Response

When you were given the credit card, they gave you a credit limit, which is the maximum amount you can charge on that card.  Your Dad is quite correct when he tells you to pay the card because that credit limit is the same as borrowing money....you have to pay it back.  Your goal should be to use less than 10% of the credit limit, maybe up to 15% and pay that in full every month.  If your credit limit is $1000 and you charged $150, you would then have $850 in available credit.  When you pay the card in full, you have that full $1000 in available credit. After a while, as long as you make on-time payments and keep your speniding in control, you may get a credit lline increase and will qualify for additional cards.

May I suggest that you read the articles provided here (look on the left side of this page) so you can build your knowledge of how credit works.  That is what this site is for and you will benefit greatly by learning the credit skills here.  I am a senior citizen and learned a lot here that has helped me build my credit greatly.  You are off to a good start.