Question

npeditor

After paying off a credit card, is it better to close the acct or keep it active?

As long as you;re not paying an annual fee, it's best to keep it active (just don't use it).

Wrong on the don't use it advice.  Use them moderately and make sure to pay in full every month.  On one card, I have a vitamin order charged.  I'd be writing a chack every month anyway, so this keeps the card active and I do pay it monthly.  Anot her card takes care of my Netflix bill. This is the really smart way to use a credit card since it keeps the card active and helps your credit score, as is explained in the articles here that  I read and advise reading.