Question

matthewreed82

After Chap 7 discharge, should my old creditor still show my account as open on my credit report?
Just asking a question, as I have little understanding of how all the technical / legal details work, but after I filed Chapter 7, and after I got my discharge two years ago, all of my accounts report as closed on my credit report except for an account I had with Discover. They show that I filed and was discharged, but they list my account as still being "Open-Derogatory" and what's really funny to me is that they still show me as having a full line of credit, which I know I do not have.. Just wanted to see if anyone else might have had similar experiences before I look into the matter further. My credit score is at 710 and I'm still trying to make it better, so I really want to make sure them showing an open account isn't hurting anything, especially if it should be closed. Thanks for your feedback!

Discover-Open Account

My Wife and I recently received our Chapter 13 discharge...WOO HOO!  I have checked my credit report and all of my accounts chowed as closed with zero balances except my account with Discover.  It shows the same thing you mentioned above, "Open-Derogatory".  I will be contacting Discover to get an answer why this is so.  I have been told by our attorney that if a creditor shows anything other than zero balance, discharged or other similar/like verbage then we as dischargees have grounds for a civil case against the creditor.  As soon as I get an answer, I will post it here.  Thanks

jules1267

Hello, did you ever get an answer to this.  I am going through the same thing right now, BK was in 2010 and 3 creditors still show as "open" and have "discharged chptr 7" note on them.  Why would they still show as "open", and last reported date of 2013, I would think the last reported date would be 2010, but my biggest concern is the "open" status.  Please let me know.

thanks,

Julie